Subscribe to my Crafty newsletter

https://www.artsybohemian.com/

Monday, September 24, 2012

Halloween banner tutorial! It'sFREE!

To kick off  the Halloween season and get you in the mood to decorate I've decided to show you how to make a banner I made today while getting ready for Glitterfest.  Before I started making it I thought why not document the steps, so here you go.  Enjoy and just know that I am not endorsing any specific products or for that matter getting paid to.  It's to jump start the spooky season and inspire.

to make this:
 YOU'LL NEED:
BLACK STAMP PAD
SPONGE
PAGES FROM AN OLD BOOK (I USED A OLD GERMAN BOOK)
STENCILS
BLACK CARDSTOCK
MATTE MEDIUM
EYELETS
EYELET SETTER AND HOLE PUNCH (I USE A CROPADILE)
WIRE



Start stenciling the pages by rubbing the sponge onto the black stamp pad, hold the stencil onto the page and rub onto it.  Note : I tore the pages in half.

 Do this 5 more times with different stencils.  Check out this site:

Cut 5 rectangles of black card stock.  What ever size your pages are make the black card stock 1/2 inch larger on all sides.   In other words if your pages are 6 1/4 x 4.75 the black card stock would be 6 3/4 x 5 1/4.  **These are the actual dimensions of my banner pages.
Take the matte gel medium and apply to the back of the pages.  Attach to the black card stock.  Apply more medium onto that.  Make sure every centimeter is covered with matte medium so that there is no lift.

Do this to all five pieces and let dry thoroughly.  When they have all dried sand if you like for a distressed look with sand paper (or block).
As an option, use a corner punch.
Then punch holes is the upper corners:
Add eyelets (I dyed mine with black ink and then lightly sanded them ):


ALMOST DONE.  Now take some wire ( I used 22g annealed steel)
String the wire onto the pages.  I made a loop on each end to hold it in place.  ENJOY!
Show me yours!!!









4 comments:

Kim L said...

So clever! Love it Robin.

Recycled Rita said...

I love it ! Can't wait for Glitterfest! karen....

Elsa said...

I didn't know you had a blog!
Thanks for the tutorial ~ I'm going to have to make this one for my son and dil!

Angi in hana said...

You are so clever!! Thanks for sharing, i can't wait to do this with my grandkids!! Aloha, angi in hana